Trudeau’s Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan (oh you thought I was referring to the state-owned CBC or the CTV here, no but I understand the confusion), attended a celebration of the Communist dictatorship of China in Vancouver on September 22. Harjit Sajjan’s spokesman said, “he didn’t stay long.” Oh phew. He didn’t stay long.
So why did he attend an event put on to help China celebrate their communist dictatorship? I think we can presume he was dutifully reflecting Justin Trudeau’s “admiration for China’s basic dictatorship.” (The actual 2013 script went like this: Question: “Which nation, besides Canada, which nation’s administration do you most admire, and why?” Answer: “You know, there’s a level of of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship…”.)
• B.C. NDP government’s minister of jobs, Bruce Ralston,
• George Chow, the NDP’s minister of state for trade,
• Teresa Wat, a BC Liberal MLA,
• Sarah Kirby-Yung, an NPA councillor from the city of Vancouver,
• A Conservative Senator, Yonah Martin
…and probably others I couldn’t spot on the list at the Chinese Benevolent Association of Vancouver website.
Stephanie Carvin, a professor of international affairs at Carleton University, tweeted that it was “extremely odd” that Sajjan would attend an event celebrating the founding of the Chinese Communist Party “at a time (when) China is holding two Canadians hostage in retaliation for a perceived slight against a state-championed company.”
As a freedom-loving Canadian whose father fought communists to the death in the Korean war, I wouldn’t attend it even if China hadn’t arbitrarily imprisoned two Canadians, Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, and weren’t still holding them in their gulags. I don’t celebrate authoritarian totalitarian communist dictatorships who give a middle finger to human rights and don’t follow the rule of law, Chinese or otherwise.
I wrote about a similar thing just last week:
Latest posts by Joel Johannesen (see all)
- From “He should be leader!” to “Imposter!” — in a few scandal-ridden years - Friday October 18, 2019 at 12:38 pm
- CBC tweets for Liberals. Nevertheless, Conservatives persisted. - Friday October 18, 2019 at 9:37 am
- Nice try, Butts. FAIL. On the basis of you being ABSURD. - Friday October 18, 2019 at 8:19 am